#11 "Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time."
The Dalai Lama issued this “set of rules” at the start of the new millennium. I feel that each and every one is a pretty kick-ass piece of advice. Kind of a good reminder as we reflect on the end of one year, beginning of the next…
- Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
- When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
- Follow the three Rs:
- Respect for self
- Respect for others
- Responsibility for all your actions.
- Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
- Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
- When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
- Spend some time alone every day.
- Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
- Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
- A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
- In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
- Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
- Be gentle with the earth.
- Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
- Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
- Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
I've come to learn that anything that begins with "someone asked the Dalai Lama______" is bound to be good
Saturday was Ryan’s Annual Christmas Party; there was plenty of drinking, eating, catching up, and even a little dancing…Gotta love the holidays!
A Saturday morning breakfast with friends somehow lead to a “joy flight” around the Monroe vicinity. I hadn’t known how I was going to spend my day, but I definitely never saw this coming…
Is there anything better than unexpected adventure?
Somewhere over Monroe
I was a little excited
Some worthwhile articles I’ve stumbled on recently…
I’ve used many of these tips to save a pretty impressive amount of money in minimal time… 33 Proven Ways to Reduce Personal Debt | Becoming Minimalist.
Another article about decluttering your life and moving on: How to Declutter and Move Forward
Been having a love affair with inspiring quotes lately, here are some good ones: The 45 Most Inspiring Quotes on Change
I love this idea/theme–the moments that lead to a change or life choice; The Moments that added up… and It Only Takes A Moment
What an awesome idea for a newspaper column/ blog theme series: David Brooks; The Life Report
So clever!: 25 clever ideas to make life easier
Could have used some of these during my college years 20 Hysterical Roommate Notes
Wish I would have thought of some of these...
“Nothing important in life happens without a cost” Jacqueline Novogratz
Another fine TED talk; this one on people who have immersed themselves in a cause, a community, or a passion for justice.